Sometimes you find a song that, as soon as it starts playing, awakens something inside of you.
It's a little bit strange, and extremely unexplainable.
You can be feeling something something mildly, and then when you turn on the song, you feel that same thing but times one million stronger. Or it can change your mood almost completely around.
The funny thing is, that same song will make another person feel absolutely nothing, while you're on the ride of your life!
And for me, the key component to a song is the soul that you can feel coming from the artist(s). Even if the song is simple, I can always tell when an artist really means and feels something deeper than their lyrics. Or if they are using an instrument to paint their soul for you (a voice is an instrument too).
This song is what's on more than a few times a day this week. Turned up very loud. Some people dislike or even hate Owl City, because his lyrics are weird, his voice sounds auto-tuned, he's only popular with twelve-year old girls, blah blah blah, etc., etc. But I don't care, I've loved Adam Young for years and will continue to do so without shame. Not only do I admire his outward showing of his Christian beliefs, but something about his music speaks to me and I. love. it.
Today, listening to this song, I feel empowered, wanted, needed, and influential. It also makes me want to go run my heart out, but I already did that today and I don't think my knees would thank me if I did it again.
Think of the music you listen to, doesn't matter what it is, but do you love it? Like, really love it? If the answer is no, then why are you listening to it?
Wednesday, April 11, 2012
so there's this book called the little prince by antoine de saint exupéry that i've had for years but have only made it through the first three pages. several times. i haven't picked it up for a while, but a visit from a friend who mentioned it inspired me. approximately 112 pages in length, it changed my life in a small way.
i want to make it a goal to have something change my life at least once a day.
i wish that everyone could and would read it.
a shortened version of my favorite part. love.
when he meets the fox-
"i cannot play with you," the fox said. "i am not tamed."
"what does that mean- tame?"
"it is an act too often neglected," said the fox. "it means to establish ties."
"to establish ties?'
"just that," said the fox. "to me, you are still nothing more than a little boy who is just like a hundred thousand other little boys. and i have no need of you. and you, on your part, have no need of me. to you, i am nothing more than a fox like a hundred thousand other foxes. but if you tame me, then we shall need each other. to me, you will be unique in all the world. to you, i shall be unique in all the world..."
"if you tame me, it will be as if the sun came to shine on my life. i shall know the sound of a step that will be different from all the others. other steps send me hurrying back underneath the ground. yours will call me, like music, out of my burrow. and then look: you see the grain-fields down yonder? i do not eat bread. wheat is of no use to me. the wheat fields have nothing to say to me. and that is sad. but you have hair that is the color of gold. think how wonderful that will be when you have tamed me! the grain, which is also golden, will bring me back the thought of you. and i shall love to listen to the wind in the wheat..."
"what must i do, to tame you?" asked the little prince.
"you must be very patient," replied the fox.
so the little prince tamed the fox. and then the hour of his departure drew near-
"ah," said the fox,"i shall cry."
"it is your own fault," said the little prince. "i never wished you any sort of harm; but you wanted me to tame you..."
"yes, that is so," said the fox.
"but now you are going to cry!" said the little prince.
"yes, that is so," said the fox.
"then it has done you no good at all!"
"it has done me good," said the fox, "because of the color of the wheat fields." and then he added:
"go and look again at the roses. you will understand now that yours is unique in all the world. then come back and say goodbye to me, and i will make you a present of a secret."
"goodbye, " said the fox. "and now here is my secret, a very simple secret: it is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
"it is the time you have [spent] for your rose that makes your rose so important."
Saturday, April 7, 2012
In light of recent events, I feel like I've learned some important lessons:
1. The Lord will always answer your prayers. More often than not, in ways that you didn't expect. And the answer to your prayer may be the answer to someone else's completely different, but equally important one.
2. Be aware of your emotions. What you are feeling at any given moment. Recognize it and embrace it. If it is negative, embrace it only long enough to let it go. Don't deny anything that you may be feeling. Every emotion is an important part of learning about the very essence of yourself.
3. Along with the previous one, do not force an emotion upon yourself. In the wise words of Baron Baptiste, doing so would be like "forcing a rose to blossom". It's ok to have days full of sorrow, if we never reached the depths of sadness we would never soar to the very heights of joy and happiness.
4. People are beautiful and recognizing that beauty and passion in others will help you to find those things in yourself.
5. God knows what He's doing.
6. It doesn't matter if going out of your comfort zone seems small compared to what other people have done outside of their comfort zones. You are not other people.
7. Have a passion. Experience something so beautiful and amazing that you cannot possibly even begin to describe it to someone else.
8. Like the famous (or infamous?) song says...say what you need to say. Whether or not you use words to say it. Communicate with those you love. Very few things will bring you greater peace of mind. Do not worry about whether or not they will accept you. "Those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind."
9. Tell those who you love, that you do indeed love them. Tell them as frequently as possible. Even if you may not be in a loving frame of mind. You know that you still love them and it is important to remember that.
10. To quote some incredible people in my life, "sing your own song". We each have our own song to sing and we cannot change the pure melody of what it is. The key or the dynamics may change, but the melody is unfailing. If part of your song is being super emotional, then by golly sing it! If you need to occasionally listen to Taylor Swift and old Jesse McCartney then do! If marathons pull at your heartstrings then run for as long as you feel pulled. You are who you are and you need what you need. Don't try to change your song for anybody.